Date(s) - 07/20/2019 - 07/21/2019
PLEASE NOTE: ONLY MMC MEMBERS CAN ATTEND FIELD TRIPS.
ALSO, MINORS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN ON ALL FIELD TRIPS. Thank you.
Thunder Bay Amethyst Field Trip
Saturday, July 20th, 2019 – 9 AM to 5 PM
Sunday, July 21st, 2019 – 9 AM to 4 PM
Trip Leader: Lane Tiedeman
Type of Mineral/Rock Collected: Amethyst
We will be working in the Blue Point Amethyst Mine near Thunder Bay Canada. The owner of the mine (Lyndon) allows for fee collecting both in the mine and in the dumps out of the mine. Our club is allowed into the mine where Lyndon has completed recent blasts to enable new material to be collected. Some material is just sitting on the ground in the open pit mine while “fresh” material may be hard rock mined in certain sections of the mine that have passed safety review. In the past MMC, members have been very pleased with the collecting at this site.
Where and When we will Meet:
9:00 am (Thunder Bay time) US Eastern Time !!!
Mirror Lake Campground parking lot (on the right side of Hwy 11/17)
Hwy 11/17 – 35 miles east of Thunder Bay
Mine/Collecting Location: Blue Point Amethyst Mine
Difficulty of Collecting Site:
- Not too difficult vertical climb unless you find a large rock! (3/10 difficulty rating)
- The open pit mine has a rugged mine floor so bring good leather boots
- Any vehicle can make it to campground meet location (1/10 difficulty rating)
- High Clearance desired for last 5 miles of dirt road to mine (3/10 difficulty rating)
- 4 wheel drive not required unless you explore other areas nearby
- Children restricted by age – under 18 not allowed.
- Pets are not allowed at this site.
- Attendance number is not yet limited but all MMC members must have filled out the release form, the ethics form and registered in advance for this field trip. The amount of people within the open pit may be limited at one time.
- Hard hat and eye protection must be worn while in mine.
- Remember that this trip is in Canada! Need passport or the passport card. Need to go through customs and also exchange currency.
Collecting Fees: There is a $30.00 fee per bucket! Larger pieces may be negotiated with Lyndon.
Rockhound Tools Needed: Bring rock pick, crack hammer, chisels, pry bars, sturdy footwear (steel toe recommended), sturdy gloves, water, sunscreen, hat, and insect repellent. YOU NEED A HARD HAT AND SAFETY GLASSES TO ENTER THE MINE!!! Need sturdy boots as the floor of the mine is rugged.
Safety Considerations: This collecting is in a small open pit mine. You must always be aware of your surroundings and of your fellow rockhounds below you.
Release Forms: The standard MMC release form can be used for this trip. It is located on the MMC web site https://minnesotamineralclub.org/public-documents/
Directions: From the Twin Cities, follow Interstate Highway 35 North to Duluth. In Duluth, exit onto Highway 61 North. Follow Highway 61 to Thunder Bay. In Thunder Bay, take Highway 11/17 East to Pass Lake (Mirror Lake Campground).
Approximate Travel Time: From Falcon Heights City Hall – MMC meeting location): 7 hours 21 minutes
Approximate Distance: From Falcon Heights City Hall – MMC meeting location: 376.61 miles
REGISTRATION CLOSES ON FRIDAY, JULY 12TH, 2019 AT 10:00 PM CT.
Bookings are closed for this event.